Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Cultural Experience

This past Sunday we sang at Lord Of Life in Stockbridge, Georgia, just outside Atlanta.  This church location is also home to Holy Cross, a Laotian group of believers.  While we were singing hymns in English, downstairs, Holy Cross was praising the Lord in Lao. Once a month they have a joint service and the pastors coordinate so that everyone can follow what is being said.

On this particular day following the worship service we were invited to a potluck. In any language "potluck" means good food.  Holy Cross was the hosting church and my what a treat!    

Spring Rolls!

Fresh rolls in the foreground and lots of interesting dishes to try.

Dave, my dear cousin Kathy, her hubby Rick, and his sweet daughter, Haily.

This dessert item was wonderful.  At first I took a very small portion to try.  When I came back for more, one of the Laotian women said, "I knew you be back!" This dish is made with coconut milk, but I have forgotten the name. 

And this is not even all the rice!
Pastor K.
Pastor K. sat near me during the meal, and I could not help but notice that his plate was filled with mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, jello, and ham.  While my plate was overloaded with spring rolls, fresh rolls, rice, more rice, and tiny portions of everything else I did not recognize. As we were visiting, Pastor K., struggled to find an English word. He said, "after many years in America, my English is still not always good."  The man seated next to him said, " I have been here all of my life and I have trouble too." When I asked about a food I liked some of the Laotian women did not understand me, but then I just smiled, pointed, and said, "yum!" That word they understood. Some conversations are international.


No comments: