Saturday, January 20, 2018

We could be friends

I have long been a fan of Mark Schweizer. He writes slightly irreverent books with characters who remind me of folks I know. When I meet organists who are not too hooked on only "church" music I will angle around to talking about The Liturgical Mysteries.
Ruth Ann, is the church organist at Ascension Lutheran, in El Paso, Texas, and a Mark Schweizer fan.  Ruth Ann was walking by me and I noticed the cover of her book. "Oh, I love his books," said I! She replied with a bit of a smile, "they are good but on the edge of churchy." 
I hope you are sufficiently curious and will follow this link: Author Mark Schweizer.
I met Nancy in Bullhead City, Arizona. We talked about hospitality, Jesus, travel, and downsizing.

A few years ago shortly after the death of her husband, Nancy took a road trip with no destination in mind and no word to her family she was leaving.  She ended up in Oklahoma City, at the home of a friend. She called her daughter at the end of her first day of travel, just to let everyone know she was taking a break and safe.
Nancy has the gift of encouragement. A friend of Nancy's wanted to visit her daughter on the outskirts of Los Angeles but was quite nervous about freeway and big city driving. In the end, it turns out after that first hour of nerves and striking out alone, all went well.  She has since visited her daughter a number of times.

Nancy has many trips under her belt. In her community, she drives folks to their appointments around town, but still has time for the occasional road trip. Nancy put about 8,000 miles on her car last year visiting family and friends across the country. Get out there and have no fear!




No comments: