Sunday, March 17, 2013

House Plants Gone Wild

 Throughout my childhood, I recall my mom having a house plant like this one, but much smaller and contained in a nice ceramic pot.  It was nothing like this outdoor landscape-sized plant in Clearwater, Florida.















This nice house plant is as tall as a house, giving new meaning to the term "house plant", and I think was referred to as a prayer plant and never achieved "the size of a house" status.

Do you see the ferns growing from the Palm tree?  Again, house plants gone wild!

I was unable to get a good picture of this TREE.  My grandmother always had a Rubber Tree in the living room. It touched the ceiling and had to be trimmed often. The Rubber Tree was decorated for Christmas, and we cheerfully teased Grandma about her crazy tree. I believe it was a gift from her son who lives in Miami, Florida. 
The size of this Rubber tree amazed me - it has branches.  

Until last week I thought all of these plants were of the indoor variety to help everyone in the northern climes get through the white winter months.  Imagine my surprise as I walked around the neighborhood in Clearwater, noticing how beautiful "house plants" can be when allowed space to GROW outside the house.  

No comments: