Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Pecans in Georgia

This is how many of the pecans looked.  After they dry a bit, the outside shell comes right off

While parked in my cousin's backyard, I was able to pick pecans in her yard.  Kathy has two trees.  This is not an ordinary activity when you live "up north."  I thought it would be fun... and it was.

The last time I was given pecans I was in Texas and it was 2009.  The nuts had already been cleaned and I simply had to shell them.  I will do the same again; on a warm, sunny day, I will put on some tunes and crack away. If you are so inclined, you can listen to a little song called, "Pecan Cracking Woman," which my husband wrote and recorded for me.  His creativity astounds me.  Crack on. :)

 the pecan picker...

... works like this.  Rolling over the grass the pecans jump right in the cage.
When you bag them it looks like this.
The same amount of pecans, cleaned of debris and the chore of cracking still ahead of me. 

No comments: