Thursday, December 13, 2012

My Fridge

Before living in an RV full-time, I did not give much thought to the quantities of food I purchased. Five cans for a buck, you bet.  The big box is a better deal, buy that. A Costco Membership? Sign me up!  


NOW we try to buy only what we need for the week, but as you see here our refrigerator door is always full of a bit of everything.  

There are a few non-negotiable items: coffee, coffee creamer and some sort of good cheese. That is it for me.

We are still Costco members, with very different buying habits.  Most items that will need refrigeration? Forget it.  We can buy in smaller quantities that will fit in the fridge and still have room for other items.  

I love pizza!  Frozen pizzas fit, if you decide that closing the door is not necessary or if you remove it from the box. Pizza from a pre-made crust is the way to go for us.

On occasion as we shop the aisles of whatever local grocery store, we must continually evaluate how much space we actually have.  As Dave adds one more item to our cart I sometimes say, "it is your turn to make everything fit in the fridge - and good luck with that."

I am not complaining at all.  I enjoy the challenge of new grocery stores and finding everything on my list.  Okra will never be on my list, but you can find many varieties here in the South.  Boiled peanuts can be found in grocery stores in Georgia, I will have to try them.

This type of shopping holds true for our cupboards as well.  We have limited space and weight.  We are not in danger of becoming hoarders of anything.  It is hard to pass up great deals on clothing, food, books, candles, you name it, but as we often remind each other, "if something comes in, something else has to go out."  We have stuck to that mantra pretty well throughout the past four years. 

It is amazing to note that even in our small house on wheels we can accumulate items we seldom use and don't really need. 



No comments: