Saturday, January 10, 2009

Turning 50

As the song goes..."you can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant." Fortunately, I was only looking for breakfast. I had a wonderful veggie omelet and hash browns to start off my 50th year. The waitress kept the coffee coming and Dave and I ate on the patio because that is what you do in Florida. And why not?

On the evening of the 7th we ate out with our friends John and Heidi Goetz, who generously shared their gift certificate with us. It was a fabulous seafood meal topped off with Creme Brulee. I also had my first Martini.

Age is a state of mind and you are as young as you feel. The people we have been serving in Florida have shown this to us again and again. How often we have heard them say, "Well, for 70-something" or "80-something I'm doing pretty good, thanks be to God," or words like these, and we are astonished. They seem younger. I'm sure the climate down here helps, but I am reminded of the youthful elderly we have met across the country who have their joy in Christ to keep them young. May God help me to age "in the Lord" as they have!

.

No comments: